Golan Heights Winery,
Israel’s leading producer of quality wines, was established in 1983 by four kibbutzim and four moshavim (cooperative communities).
From its founding until today, the Winery has made its mark and expanded its influence on the Israeli wine world. Its establishment changed the local wine map and shaped the perception of wine quality in the mind of the Israeli consumer.
The Winery produces four labels with a range of varieties and styles: Yarden, Gamla, Hermon and Golan.
Wine Country – Their Philosophy of Creation
The winery's constantly evolving and expanding knowledge of the Golan Heights wine region empowers their winegrowers and winemakers to create different types and styles of quality wine.
Every wine we make is part of a puzzle. As the versatility of the region is rare in the wine world, this puzzle is particularly complex. The more they learn, the more their belief in the enormous potential of the Golan Heights as an outstanding winegrowing region area gets stronger.
As Head Winemaker Victor Schoenfeld says: “Wine conveys a sense of place. It’s possible to sense a wine’s terroir in its flavor, aroma and color. Wine expresses a place’s culture, language and people.”
Golan Height's Winery's Vision
"To lead Israel’s quality wine culture is not a slogan for us; rather, it is our purpose and way of life for each one of us at the Winery."
"It begins with the study of our terroir, continues through the creation of our wines, and underlines the special activities we undertake for consumers of high-quality wines and wine industry professionals."
"We strive to produce quality wines that will express the distinctive features of the Golan Heights: our unique volcanic soils; our snow storms in winter, and long hot days and cold nights of summer; our windy and sun-drenched vineyards; and our team of winegrowers and winemakers, each with impressive experience, ability and creativity."
At present, the Winery maintains about 6,300 dunams (630 hectares) of grape-yielding vineyards. The Winery has planted some 20 varieties of grapes in 28 vineyards divided into roughly 450 blocks, at elevations ranging from 400 to almost 1,200 meters.
Each vineyard block is mapped and cataloged, with constant monitoring of its various parameters including soil conductivity, growth, water condition in the vine, and more. From the knowledge gathered over the years, we can understand the block’s characteristics, abilities, development and health. This information is essential for making decisions throughout the year and during harvest.
The blocks are harvested separately, and their wines are stored separately in stainless steel tanks in order to maintain their identity and uniqueness until final blending. From this large selection of small blocks, our winemakers can choose the most appropriate blocks for the relevant wine.
The decision to bottle single-vineyard wines was made at the Winery only after many years of monitoring and studying the uniqueness and potential of each and every vineyard. Single-vineyard wines are produced only in vintages in which grape quality is exceptional and the vineyard’s terroir is clearly expressed in the wine.
Golan Heights Winery Tour
Booking availabilities for tours:
Sunday 08:30 – 16:00
Monday – Thursday 08:30 – 16:30
Friday 08:30 – 12:30
Golan Heights Winery offers the following tours:
- Classic Tour: starts with the story of the winery, vineyards and region, through their philosophy of winemaking, a visit in the oak barrel cellar and tastings of three of different wines.
Tour duration: 1 hour
- Wine Box for Lovers: includes the classic tour - starts with the story of the winery, vineyards and region, through their philosophy of winemaking, a visit in the oak barrel cellar and tastings of three of different wines.
At the end of the tour you're invited to find one of the magical spots around the winery and enjoy a cheese platter from local boutique dairy farms, hand-made crackers and a glass of wine.
On top of that they will treat you with a complementary gift bag.
Tour duration: 1 hour (guided tour) + extra
- Professional Tour and Wine Tasting: a private tour telling the whole the story of the winery, vineyards and region, through their philosophy and different processes of winemaking, a visit in the oak barrel cellar and the benefits of its use. A professional tasting session, featuring a wide variety of the winery's high-quality wines, accompanied by a variety of boutique Golan Heights cheeses.
Tour duration: 1.5 hours
- Vineyard Tour: a private tour that starts with a ride on a 4WD through the unique terroir of Golan Heights. This tour will take you to an exclusive visit in one of our premium vineyards where you will enjoy some refreshments and wine.
Upon your return to the winery, your journey will continue with the professional tour that tells the story of the winery, vineyards and region, through their philosophy and different processes of winemaking, a visit in the oak barrel cellar and the benefits of its use. A professional tasting session, featuring a wide variety of the winery's high-quality wines, accompanied by a variety of boutique Golan Heights cheeses.
Tour duration: 4+ hours
- Culinary tours: for groups- the winery's culinary tours include a chef meals at the wine cellar. The meals start with a guided tour, covering the wine production process, a visit to the oak barrel cellar, and then to Golan Heights Winery's wine cellar for a meal and a tasting of high premium wines
Receptions tours include half an hour of finger food and wine which follow with a guided tour, covering the wine production process, a visit to the oak barrel cellar, and a tasting of three of Golan Heights Winery's wines.